Notification to the Parties
No. 716 Lausanne, 21 December 1992
Biennial Reports on Measures Taken to Enforce the Convention
1. Article VIII, paragraph 7 (b), of the Convention requires each Party to prepare and transmit to the Secretariat "a biennial report on legislative, regulatory, and administrative measures taken to enforce the provisions of the present Convention".
2. The Secretariat is concerned that the above requirement is not being met by the majority of the Parties.
3. When the Secretariat is satisfied that the provisions of the Convention are not being effectively implemented, it is required by Article XIII to inform the Parties concerned, which are obliged to respond. The Conference of the Parties at its next meeting must review the information about the implementation and make appropriate recommendations.
4. At the ninth meeting of the Conference of the Parties, the Secretariat will, as usual, report information about implementation problems in the Report on Alleged Infractions and Other Problems of Enforcement of the Convention. This report will contain information about the failure of Parties to submit biennial reports.
5. Consequently, the Secretariat asks that the Parties increase their efforts to send to the Secretariat the biennial report that is required by Article VIII, paragraph 7 (b), of the Convention. This would allow the Secretariat to better perform its functions.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home