Notification to the Parties
No. 919 Geneva, 20 June 1996
CITES Directory and Other Information
1. The CITES Directory has existed since 1980 (Notification to the Parties No. 139 of 5 June 1980) and has proved to be a useful tool for the implementation of CITES. To be as useful as it could be, it must include all the necessary information and be updated regularly.
2. Some of the information in the Directory must be communicated by the Parties in accordance with the text of the Convention. Other information is requested by Resolutions of the Conference of the Parties.
3. In accordance with Resolution Conf. 9.5, the Secretariat includes in the Directory information concerning non-party States.
4. The Directory does not include certain information that would also be useful, e.g. names and sample signatures of people authorized to sign CITES permits and certificates, because the constant updating of such information would be almost impossible. The Secretariat, however, keeps such information in its files and updates it continuously.
5. The Secretariat communicates to the Parties, through Notifications, not only the Directory but also copies of forms used for permits and certificates, as well as other information as necessary.
6. To be able to keep the Parties fully informed, the Secretariat must be adequately informed by them, in particular of any changes in the documents and information previously communicated. What is needed, at least, is the following:
- full names and addresses (including telephone, telefax and e-mail) of all Management Authorities;
- full names and addresses (including telephone, telefax and e-mail) of all Scientific Authorities;
- original samples of the forms used for CITES permits and certificates, including, if appropriate, phytosanitary certificates, labels for specimens from registered scientific institutions, etc.;
- names and titles of people authorized to sign CITES permits and certificates (please use the attached form);
- three samples of the signatures of these people (please use the attached form);
- names of people no longer authorized to sign CITES permits and certificates;
- samples of the seals or stamps used to authenticate CITES permits and certificates;
- information regarding the use of security stamps (see specific Notifications to the Parties).
7. Any changes to the above-mentioned documents or information should be communicated as soon as possible to the Secretariat, preferably with the date of their entry into effect.
8. Parties that regularly communicate the necessary information and documentation to the Secretariat do not need to resend them in response to this Notification. The others should check whether they have provided this information and, if not, should send it urgently.
9. This Notification replaces Notifications to the Parties Nos. 61 of 28 March 1977, 139 of 5 June 1980 and 563 of 31 January 1990.
to Issue and Sign CITES Documents
Names and signatures (three samples for each person)
of those authorized to issue and sign CITES documents
If the number of persons exceeds three, please supply information on a separate sheet.
If your country has designated several competent authorities, please complete one sheet for each authority specifying, if necessary, its competences (plants, animals, territories, etc.).
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home