Notification to the Parties
No. 1999/32 Geneva, 12 March 1999
Withdrawal of the Recommendation of the Standing Committee
1. By Notification to the Parties No. 1998/35 of 6 August 1998, the Secretariat informed the Parties of the recommendation made by the Standing Committee at its 40th meeting that Parties should not issue permits and certificates for trade to Greece and should refuse to accept documents issued by Greece from 1 September 1998 until further notice.
2. The withdrawal of the recommendation remained subject to: the designation of the CITES Scientific Authority of Greece; the adoption by the Government of Greece of an amended law for the implementation of the Convention; the reduction of the number of ports of entry for CITES specimens in Greece; and the use of CITES permits and certificates in one of the working languages of the Convention.
3. During its 41st meeting (Geneva, February 1999), the Standing Committee discussed this issue. Information was provided by the representative of the European Commission regarding Regulation (EC) 338/97 adopted by the 15 European Union Member States and the Committee took into account the significant progress made by Greece to fulfil its obligations. The Committee decided that its recommendation adopted at the 40th meeting would be withdrawn upon receipt of the relevant Greek legislation in a working language of the Convention and verification by the Secretariat, in consultation with the Chairman of the Standing Committee, of compliance with the conditions in paragraph 2 above.
4. The Secretariat can now confirm, after consultation with the Chairman, that these requirements have been met.
5. The present Notification repeals Notification to the Parties No. 1998/35 of 6 August 1998.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home