Notification to the Parties
No. 1999/47 Geneva, 1 July 1999
Export Quotas for 1999
1. In accordance with paragraph i), under the second "RECOMMENDS that" of Resolution Conf. 10.2, the Parties named in the list annexed to this Notification have communicated to the Secretariat the export quotas that they have established for the calendar year 1999 for specimens of species included in the CITES appendices, as indicated in the annex.
2. The list also includes export quotas granted by the Conference of the Parties (indicated by '*') and those resulting from recommendations of the Animals Committee in the context of Resolution Conf. 8.9 (indicated by '+').
3. The levels of the export quotas for the other species included in the list are those determined by the Parties concerned. The publication of these quotas by the Secretariat does not imply its endorsement of them. The Secretariat has no information to indicate whether the quotas in the attached list represent non-detriment findings.
4. It is understood that the levels of the quotas established represent the maximum number of live specimens that will be authorized for export or from which parts and derivatives may be exported during the calendar year in question (unless otherwise indicated), and that it is not obligatory for the quota for any species to be exhausted during that year.
5. The Secretariat wishes to draw the attention of the Parties to paragraphs i) and j) under "RECOMMENDS that" in section II of Resolution Conf. 10.2. As the Secretariat is obliged to implement decisions of the Conference of the Parties, it will recommend to potential importing countries the rejection of export permits that do not, where appropriate, include the details referred to in these two paragraphs.
6. Where, for any species, separate annual export quotas have been established according to the source of specimens, for example for specimens taken from the wild and for specimens produced on ranches, the information specified on each export permit should also refer to the export quota in relation to the source, and not to the combined export quota for the species. The Secretariat will recommend the rejection of permits that do not provide this precision.
7. This Notification replaces Notifications to the Parties No. 1998/57 of 30 October 1998, No. 1999/21 of 12 March 1999 and No. 1999/34 of 30 April 1999.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home