Notification to the Parties
No. 1999/90 Geneva, 30 November 1999
Eleventh meeting of the Conference of the Parties
1. The Secretariat hereby provides additional information regarding the 11th meeting of the Conference of the Parties, to be held at UNEP Headquarters, Gigiri, Nairobi, Kenya, from 10 to 20 April 2000.
Opening of the meeting
2. The Secretariat wishes to draw to the attention of Parties that the Standing Committee at its 42nd meeting (Lisbon, 28 September to 1 October 1999), approved the draft working programme for the Conference of the Parties submitted by the Secretariat, according to which the official opening of the meeting will take place on Sunday, 9 April 2000 from 16h00 to 17h30.
3. The following documents for the 11th meeting of the Conference of the Parties are attached:
- Rules of Procedure (provisional)
- Agenda (provisional)
- Working programme (provisional)
4. The Secretariat is able to transmit conference documents by e-mail. It requests Parties that are willing to accept documents by this means of communication to provide the e-mail address to which these documents should be sent.
5. Parties are reminded that, in accordance with Rule 3 of the Rules of Procedure for meetings of the Conference of the Parties, the credentials to authorize delegates to represent their country have to be issued by a proper authority, the Head of State, the Head of Government or the Minister of Foreign Affairs. The original document should be sent to the Secretariat or presented in Gigiri at the time of registration.
Registration and registration fee for non-governmental organizations
6. An individual registration form should be submitted for each participant. The Secretariat wishes to remind observers from non-governmental organizations that, in accordance with Rule 3.4 of the provisional Rules of Procedure, it will not accept registration forms after 10 March 2000.
7. The registration fee for the first representative of a non-governmental organization is USD 600, which includes a set of documents. There is a fee of USD 300 for each additional participant without documents. Should observers wish to have additional sets of documents, these can be obtained for USD 300 per set.
Exhibition space and equipment reservations
8. Enclosed is a form for Reservation of space for a stand/exhibition and audio visual equipment for those delegations wishing to rent space for exhibitions and audio visual equipment. Once the needs for space and equipment have been ascertained, the Secretariat will be in a position to provide delegations with an individual costing.
9. UNEP Headquarters does not expect any problems with Customs clearance of material that is for exhibition only. However, those wishing to import promotional material for sale should contact the Kenyan Customs service in case duty is payable.
10. The Chairman of the Standing Committee has asked the Secretariat to encourage Parties to exhibit material, or prepare stands, relating to enforcement and/or public awareness campaigns that they may have engaged in since the 10th meeting of the Conference of the Parties.
Events organized by delegations
11. Delegations and observers are encouraged to provide to the Secretariat, as soon as possible, a list of events they intend to organize during the meeting (receptions, conferences, etc.).
Tours and excursions
12. Please find enclosed information describing possible tours before and after the meeting.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home