Notification to the Parties
No. 1999/97 Geneva, 29 December 1999
Proposals to amend Appendices I and II
Provisional assessments by the Secretariat
1. The list of proposals to amend Appendices I and II of the Convention to be considered at the 11th meeting of the Conference of the Parties was communicated to the Parties through a Notification to Contracting and Signatory States on 22 November 1999.
2. Copies of the proposals, in the form in which they were received by the Secretariat, were communicated to the Parties with Notification to the Parties No. 1999/89 on the same date.
3. They have been available on the CITES Web site since 1 December 1999.
4. Attached to the present Notification are provisional assessments of these, prepared by the Secretariat in the context of its tasks under Article XV, paragraph 1 (a), of the Convention.
5. This information is being communicated to the Parties at this early stage in order to help them in making their own assessment of the proposals and to stimulate discussion.
6. In February 2000, the Secretariat will communicate to the Parties its recommendations on the amendment proposals, which will take account of the comments received from Parties and organizations as well as from intergovernmental bodies having a function in relation to marine species (in accordance with the provisions of Article XV, paragraph 2(b), of the Convention).
7. Parties that wish to submit comments on the proposals are requested to communicate these to the Secretariat no later than 31 January 2000.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home