Notifications to the Parties
No. 2000/044 Geneva, 31 July 2000
Species critically endangered in the wild or difficult to keep or breed in captivity
1. At its 11th meeting, the Conference of the Parties adopted guidelines for a procedure to register and monitor operations that breed Appendix-I animal species for commercial purposes (Resolution Conf. 11.14).
2. The Conference of the Parties also agreed that the procedure for registration should apply to operations breeding Appendix-I species included in Annex 3 to Resolution Conf. 11.14 that are critically endangered in the wild and/or known to be difficult to keep or breed in captivity.
3. At its 11th meeting, the Conference of the Parties directed the Secretariat to issue a Notification to the Parties seeking nominations from Parties of Appendix-I species that are critically endangered in the wild and/or known to be difficult to breed or keep in captivity.
4. At its 16th meeting (11-15 December 2000, Western Virginia, United States of America) the Animals Committee will consider the information received and prepare a final list for approval by the Standing Committee and subsequent inclusion in Annex 3 of Resolution Conf. 11.14.
5. Through this Notification, the Secretariat invites Parties to provide it with the information referred to in paragraph 3. above.
6. The Parties are also invited to provide with the list of species, the criteria on the basis of which it was established that the species concerned were 'critically endangered in the wild' or 'difficult to keep or breed in captivity'.
7. In order to be able to prepare the documentation for consideration by the Animals Committee in a timely manner, the Parties are requested to provide their nominations no later than 1 October 2000.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home