Notification to the Parties
No. 2000/067 Geneva, 14 December 2000
Retrospective issue of permits and certificates
1. The Secretariat has been advised that some CITES Management Authorities have issued retrospective export documents for specimens of species in Appendix II and III without first consulting the CITES Management Authority of the country of import.
2. Parties are reminded that Resolution Conf. 10.2 (Rev.), Section VIII, generally recommends that retrospective export and re-export documents not be issued or accepted.
3. It further recommends that no exceptions be made for specimens of Appendix-I species.
4. It also recommends that exceptions for specimens of Appendix-II and -III species be made only where the Management Authorities of both the exporting (or re-exporting) and importing countries are, after a prompt and thorough investigation in both countries and in close consultation with each other, satisfied:
a) that the irregularities that have occurred are not attributable to the exporter (or re-exporter) or the importer; and
b) that the export (or re-export) and import of the specimens concerned are otherwise in compliance with the Convention and with the relevant legislation of the countries of export (or re-export) and import.
5. In essence, a Management Authority of a country of export (or re-export) should never issue a retrospective CITES export (or re-export) document without first consulting with the Management Authority of the country of import.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home