Geneva, 18 May 2001
Monitoring of illegal hunting of elephants and National reporting forms
on illegal killing of elephants and enforcement actions. Monitoring of illegal trade in ivory
1. With Notifications to the Parties Nos. 1999/92 and 1999/93 the Secretariat distributed examples of the reporting forms to be used to submit information regarding illegal killing of elephants and illegal trade in ivory and other elephant products.
2. Since the 11th meeting of the Conference of the Parties the Secretariat has received very few reports on illegal killing of elephants. Most of those received were from India and the only Party to have submitted National reporting forms is India. Parties are reminded of the importance of such reports in enabling the Secretariat to maintain an overview of elephant poaching. These reports are separate from, although complementary to, the MIKE (Monitoring of Illegal Killing of Elephants) system.
3. The Secretariat is distributing herewith a copy of a report, prepared by TRAFFIC East/Southern Africa, detailing the current status of the Elephant Trade Information System (ETIS).
4. The Secretariat reminds Parties of the considerable time, money and effort that have been devoted to ETIS and encourages them to submit reports on all seizures of ivory and other elephant products.
5. Electronic versions of the reporting forms can be accessed from the CITES website.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home