Geneva, 10 August 2001
Trade in ramin (Gonystylus spp.)
1. This Notification replaces Notification to the Parties No. 2001/040 of 9 July 2001.
2. Through Notification to the Parties 2001/026 of 18 May 2001 the Secretariat informed the Parties that Indonesia had requested that Gonystylus spp. be included in Appendix III, following the implementation of an export ban from 12 April 2001. However, Indonesia has decided to allow two exemptions to this general export ban.
3. Through the decree of the Ministry of Forestry No. 168/Kpts-IV/2001 of 11 June 2001, regulations are provided for domestic and international trade in registered stockpiles accumulated prior to 12 April 2001. These stockpiles were supposed to be exported without CITES documents until 5 August 2001 inclusive (i.e. until the entry into effect of the Appendix-III listing).
4. However, the Management Authority of Indonesia has informed the Secretariat that it will not be possible to export all the stockpiles before 5 August 2001. After that date it will therefore issue export permits to authorize the export before 31 December 2001 of specimens remaining in the above-mentioned stockpiles.
5. Apart from the export permits for specimens in the registered stockpiles, the Indonesian Management Authority will issue export permits only for timber and products that have been proven to originate from PT. Diamond Raya Timber and its associated processing company PT. Uniseraya, which have been granted a certificate of Sustainable Forest Management. For this reason the export ban referred to in paragraph 2 is not applicable to them.
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|