Geneva, 5 November 2001
Submission of nationally-established export quotas for the year 2002
Correction to export quotas for 2001
1. The Secretariat plans to publish a Notification to the Parties on nationally-established export quotas for the year 2002 in March 2002, or earlier if possible. It therefore requests that the Parties provide it with details of the export quotas that they have established for 2002, by 31 December 2001 at the latest. Quotas received after that date will not be published before June 2002.
2. The information requested should preferably be presented in a format similar to that used in the table that was transmitted with Notification to the Parties No. 2001/041 of 9 July 2001, and which is available on the CITES Secretariat website. Parties should specify the origin and the type of the specimens that will be subjected to annual export quotas.
3. For species included in the table transmitted with Notifications to the Parties Nos. 2001/041, 2001/055 and 2001/066, changes from the 2001 export quota levels may also be transmitted to the Secretariat in the form of annotations to the relevant page of that table. Exports quotas for additional species should preferably be provided electronically using the standard nomenclature where applicable. In cases where export quotas remain the same in 2002 as in the previous year, the Secretariat should be duly notified of this decision.
4. Regarding export quotas for African elephant hunting trophies, the range States concerned should refer to the section entitled 'Regarding quotas for and trade in raw ivory' in Resolution Conf. 10.10 (Rev.).
5. Regarding the submission of reports pursuant to Resolutions Conf. 10.14 and Conf. 10.15 (Rev.), on the leopard Panthera pardus and the markhor Capra falconeri, the Secretariat reminds the Parties concerned of the provisions of these Resolutions regarding reports relating to trade in skins and hunting trophies of these species.
6. Regarding export and catch quotas for Acipenseriformes, the range States concerned are reminded of Decision 11.58 taken at the 11th meeting of the Conference of the Parties that "starting from 1 January 2001, range States should declare coordinated intergovernmental level annual export and catch quotas per basin, or biogeographical region where appropriate, for all commercial trade in specimens of Acipenseriformes. Parties should inform the Secretariat prior to 31 December of the preceding year. Parties that fail to inform the Secretariat will automatically be treated as having a zero quota for the following year."
7. The information requested should be presented in a format similar to that used in the table that was transmitted with Notification to the Parties No. 2001/042 of 9 July 2001, which is available on the CITES Secretariat website.
8. As explained in Notification No. 2001/041, Parties that intend to authorize exports in the year 2002 of specimens that should have been exported as part of the quota for the year 2001 should inform the Secretariat before 15 January 2002 about the quantities still held in stock and the reason why they have not been exported. Otherwise the Secretariat may not be in a position to confirm the validity of the permits concerned.
9. Parties are encouraged to provide the Secretariat with information pertaining to the scientific basis, the management plan or agreement upon which export quotas have been based.
10. The Secretariat has been informed by the Management Authority of Indonesia that the export quota for the year 2001 of Plerogyra sinuosa is 36,000 live specimens, and not 3,600 live specimens as erroneously mentioned in Notification to the Parties No. 2001/41 of 9 July 2001. The corrected page is attached as an Annex to this Notification.
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|