Geneva, 20 November 2001
United Arab Emirates
Recommendation to suspend trade
1. At its 45th meeting (Paris, June 2001), the Standing Committee accepted a report of the Secretariat (SC45 Doc. 11.2) in which it drew attention to illegal trade involving the United Arab Emirates. During the meeting, the Secretariat presented additional information that it had received, which increased its concerns regarding implementation of the Convention in this country.
2. The Standing Committee recommended that the United Arab Emirates should, as soon as possible, invite a mission by the Secretariat to discuss illicit trade in CITES-listed specimens to and from that country; to provide technical advice and support; and to examine the measures in place to implement the Convention in the United Arab Emirates. The Committee agreed that if, by 31 October 2001, such an invitation had not been received and the Secretariat had been unable to satisfy itself that the United Arab Emirates was adequately implementing the Convention, the Secretariat should distribute a Notification to the Parties recommending that, until further notice, the Parties refuse any import of specimens of CITES-listed species from and any export or re-export of such specimens to the United Arab Emirates.
3. The Secretariat was invited to send a mission to the United Arab Emirates and the visit took place from 28 to 31 October 2001. Regrettably, the Secretariat was unable to verify, either during the mission or through subsequent correspondence, that the Convention is being adequately implemented in the United Arab Emirates.
4. Consequently, the Secretariat hereby informs the Parties that the Standing Committee does now recommend that, until further notice, the Parties refuse any import of specimens of CITES-listed species from and any export or re-export of such specimens to the United Arab Emirates.
5. This recommendation will be withdrawn when the Secretariat is satisfied that the necessary legal, administrative and practical measures have been put in place to ensure that the Convention will be adequately implemented in the United Arab Emirates. The Secretariat will continue to liaise with the authorities of this country and to offer its assistance to accomplish this objective.
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|