Geneva, 19 December 2001
CITES Identification Guide – Sturgeons and Paddlefish
1. The Secretariat is pleased to announce the publication of the latest volume in Environment Canada’s series of easy-to-use identification guides. This volume deals with sturgeons and paddlefish.
2. This guide was published by Environment Canada with the cooperation of the CITES Secretariat, the Ministère de l'aménagement du territoire et de l'environnement, Direction de la nature et des paysages (France), TRAFFIC Europe and the Rufford Foundation.
3. It is designed in particular to help staff responsible for enforcing CITES to do their work more quickly and efficiently. The use of the guide requires no advanced level of training or previous knowledge of biology. It uses a simple visual approach, which facilitates the identification process.
4. The guide contains:
– key pages, which illustrate the morphological characteristics that distinguish different species;
– descriptive pages, which present each species, with illustrations, the important features for identification, caviar products and a range map; and
– indexes of the scientific names of the species illustrated as well as their common names in English, French, Spanish and other languages.
5. Other guides in the same series were previously published on Butterflies (2000), Turtles and Tortoises (1999), Crocodilians (1995) and Birds (1994).
6. All guides in the series are published in English, French and Spanish and can be obtained from:
Environment Protection Publications
Tel.: +1 (819) 953 57 50
Fax: +1 (819) 994 56 29
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|