Geneva, 6 March 2002
Secretary-Generalís Certificate of Commendation
1. Objective 3.2 of the CITES Strategic Vision through 2005 is "To stimulate and participate in bilateral, regional and global efforts to combat illegal trade in wild fauna and flora". The CITES Action Plan, at point 3.2.5, calls on the Parties and the Secretariat to, "Formally recognize and award exemplary enforcement actions."
2. In Resolution Conf. 11.3 (Compliance and enforcement) the Conference of the Parties recommends that "the Parties provide to the Secretariat detailed information on significant cases of illegal trade" and that "the Parties inform the Secretariat, when possible, about convicted illegal traders and persistent offenders" [paragraphs b) and c) under fourth RECOMMENDS].
3. To implement point 3.2.5. of the Action Plan, the Secretariat has decided to introduce Certificates of Commendation, which will be awarded, as and when appropriate, at the discretion of the Secretary-General, to recognize exemplary enforcement actions. The certificates will be awarded to individuals or organizations that have conducted commendable work to enforce the Convention.
4. The Secretariat wishes to emphasize that it is not seeking nominations for such awards but encourages Parties and other relevant organizations to continue to bring to its attention cases involving the combating or detection of illegal trade.
5. The award of certificates will be communicated to the Parties through Notifications to the Parties.
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|