Geneva, 11 March 2002
Withdrawal of the recommendation to suspend trade
1. With Notification to the Parties No. 2002/004 issued on 14 January 2002, the Secretariat informed the Parties that, pursuant to Decision 11.16, the Conference of the Parties, recommended that, from that date, all Parties should refuse any import from and export or re-export to Viet Nam of CITES specimens until further notice.
2. On 23 January 2002 Viet Nam informed the Secretariat that Government Decree No. 11/2002/ND-CP on the Management of Export, Import and Transit of Wild Animals and Plants had been signed by the Prime Minister on 22 January 2002.
3. On 29 January 2002 Viet Nam provided the signature page from the Vietnamese text and an English translation of the entire legislation.
4. On 22 February 2002 Viet Nam advised the Secretariat that Government Decree No. 11/2002/ND-CP took effect on 7 February 2002. Viet Nam further advised that, pursuant to the Decree, a Circular including four annexes would be issued by the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development and provide for easy amendment of these annexes. Annex B to this circular will contain the animal and plant species listed in the CITES Appendices.
5. The Secretariat’s review of the English translation of Government Decree No. 11/2002/ND-CP shows that the Decree addresses the four minimal requirements for implementation of CITES (i.e. designation of CITES authorities, prohibition of trade in violation of the Convention, penalization of illegal trade and provision for the confiscation of specimens that are illegally traded or possessed).
6. Therefore, the Secretariat informs the Parties that the recommendation to suspend trade expressed in Notification to the Parties No. 2002/004 is withdrawn with immediate effect.
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|