Geneva, 2 May 2002
National directories of government officials responsible for CITES issues
and lists of experts
1. The Secretariat wishes to remind Parties of the following.
2. In accordance with Action Point 1.2.2 of the Strategic Vision Through 2005 Action Plan, they should "develop a national directory of government officials responsible for CITES issues".
3. The aim of this directory is "to strengthen the administrative, management and scientific capacity of Parties by improving the coordination between Management and Scientific Authorities and other national agencies responsible for wild animals and plants", as defined in Objective 1.2 of the Action Plan.
4. Under Objective 1.3, "to strengthen the enforcement capacity of the Parties and to improve coordination among Management Authorities and other agencies (e.g. police, Customs and veterinary and phytosanitary services)", Parties are also requested to:
"develop a national directory of government officials responsible for CITES enforcement issues" (Action point 1.3.3); and
"identify focal points in agencies (e.g. police, Customs, veterinary and phytosanitary services) responsible for assisting CITES enforcement" (Action point 1.3.5).
5. Finally, in accordance with Action point 1.3.4, Scientific and Management Authorities should "collate and make accessible lists of taxonomic, forensic and identification experts".
6. These various directories and lists are tools meant to be circulated at the national level, but the Secretariat will include this information on its website at a Party’s request.
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|