Geneva, 24 June 2002
CITES Identification Guide – Tropical Woods
1. The Secretariat hereby announces the publication of the latest volume in Environment Canada’s series of easy-to-use identification guides. This volume deals with tropical woods.
2. This guide was produced by Environment Canada in cooperation with other organizations.
3. It is designed, in particular, to help staff responsible for enforcing CITES to do their work more quickly and efficiently. The use of the guide requires no advanced level of training or previous knowledge of biology. It uses a simple visual approach, which facilitates the identification process.
4. The guide contains:
– key pages, which illustrate the anatomical characteristics that distinguish different species;
– descriptive pages, which present each CITES species and similar woods with colour photos, the important features for identification and the geographic range;
– indexes of the scientific names of the illustrate species as well as their common names in English, French and Spanish.
5. The guide was published with the cooperation of the CITES Secretariat, the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the Forest Service (USDA).
6. Other guides in the same series were previously published on Sturgeons and Paddlefish (2001), Butterflies (2000), Turtles and Tortoises (1999), Crocodilians (1995) and Birds (1994).
7. All guides in the series are published in English, French and Spanish and can be obtained from:
Environment Protection Publications
Tel: +1 (819) 953 57 50
Fax: +1 (819) 994 56 29
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|