Geneva, 9 August 2002
Sponsored Delegates Project
1. The Sponsored Delegates project for the 12th meeting of the Conference of the Parties (CoP12) started in September 2001 and by 15 July 2002, the Secretariat had raised a total of USD 508,000. These funds have been received from various Parties and international non-governmental organizations and will be used to support the participation of delegates from developing countries to CoP12.
2. In Notification to the Parties No. 2002/017 of 9 April 2002, the Secretariat requested the Parties that require financial support for the travel of their representatives to CoP12 to contact the Secretariat by 15 May 2002 and indicate the need for financial assistance.
3. The Secretariat has received requests for financial assistance from 62 countries.
4. The funding available will cover the costs of the airfare, hotel accommodation and an allowance for two participants from the least developed countries, developing countries and countries with economies in transition that have requested assistance.
5. Remaining funding will be divided amongst the other Parties that have requested financial assistance, and as a result not all costs may be covered. The Secretariat will inform those Parties about the level of support that it will be able to provide.
6. The 62 countries will be contacted in the near future and requested to submit the names of their representatives so that travel arrangements can be made.
7. Requests for financial assistance that have been received after the deadline of 15 May 2002 will only be considered if additional funds are raised.
8. The Secretariat expresses its appreciation and gratitude to the Parties and organizations that have generously contributed to this important project.
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|