Geneva, 12 November 2003
Implementation of Resolution Conf. 12.7
on Conservation of and trade in sturgeons and paddlefish
1. In accordance with Resolution Conf. 12.7, the State Committee for Fisheries of the Russian Federation, which is the Russian CITES Management Authority for Acipenseriformes, has designed new labels that will be used to authenticate caviar exports.
2. The labels are printed on adhesive paper and are non-reusable. They are suitable for use on primary and secondary containers. Any attempt to remove the label or open the container will result in damage to the label. The labels are 105 mm x 20 mm for containers of 249 g of caviar or less and 210 mm x 30 mm for containers of more than 249 g. They bear the information recommended in Resolution Conf. 12.7. On application for an export of caviar, the Management Authority (having satisfied itself regarding non-detriment and legal origin) attributes the lot identification number. Each label also bears a holographic design to deter counterfeiting. The hologram displays, alternately, the words ‘CITES’ and ‘RUSSIA’ (the latter in English and Russian).
3. For caviar from sturgeons of wild origin (W), labels are coloured as follows:
Blue: Huso huso (HUS) and Huso dauricus (DAU);
Red: Acipenser* stellatus (STE);
Yellow: Acipenser baerii (BAE), Acipenser gueldenstaedtii (GUE), Acipenser schrencki (SCH) and Acipenser persicus (PER); and
Green: Acipenser ruthenus (RUT) and Huso huso x Acipenser ruthenus (HUSxRUT)
4. For caviar from sturgeons produced in aquaculture (C), i.e. Acipenser baerii, Acipenser gueldenstaedtii and Huso huso x Acipenser ruthenus, the labels used are green.
5. Examples of the labels are attached to this Notification.
6. This Notification replaces Notification to the Parties No. 2001/088 of 19 December 2001.
* Corrected on 17/11/03
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|